Teaching & Administration
- Professor at the Queensland University of Technology, 1995 - present.
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, and Professor at the University of Salford, 1978 - 1995.
- Senior Lecturer at the Blackpool College of Technology & Art, 1975 - 1978.
- Senior Quantity Surveyor/Computer Consultant at Building Design Partnership, Preston, 1973 - 1975.
- Consultant Quantity Surveyor/ Systems Analyst/ Computer Programmer at Integrated Building Information Developments, Lancaster, 1971 - 1973.
- Various Quanitity Surveying positions the private and public sectors, pre 1971.
- Discipline Leader for Project Management/Construction/ Management/Quantity Surveying. Queensland University of Technology.
- Director of Research & Postgraduate Studies, examinations officer of MSc Construction & Property Information Technology, and University Research Board member, University of Salford.
- Has successfully supervised 15 PhD students and 5 MSc students.
- At the University of Salford (US), he taught such courses as: quantity surveying practice, measurement, cost studies, estimating, quantity surveying information technology, quantitative methods, research methods, systems analysis, risk management and automated systems.
- At the Queensland University of Technology (QUT), he teaches such courses as: Masters Dissertations.
Funded Research Projects
- Construction economics and Construction management.
- Econometrics, economics, ethics, management, management science, operations research, procurement, production, project management, project risk management and quantity surveying.
Publications & Presentations
- Received numerous research grants from government and industries.
- Principal and Co-principal investigator of over 35 research projects.
- Research collaboration with Hong Kong City University, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong University, University of South Australia, Loughborough University, Reading University, etc.
Awards & Honours
- Authored 3 books.
- Authored and co-authored 6 book chapters.
- 4 book reviews, paper reviewer for 26 journals and over 17 conferences.
- Published more than 130 international refereed journal papers and 86 working papers for conference proceedings.
- Presented more than 82 presentations at conferences, seminars & corporate bodies.
- Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 2004.
- Nominated QUT Supervisor of the Year, 2001.
- Nominated QUT Supervisor of the Year, 2000.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Chairman, Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM), 1992-2004.
- Chairman, Australasian Universities Building Educators Association (AUBEA), 1997-2000.
- Member, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Education and Membership Policy Committee, 2003-2006.
- Member of The Chartered Institute of Building from 1986 - present.
- Editorial Board member of several journals of civil engineering, management, construction procurement, and construction research.
- Editor-in-Chief of RICS QS Occasional Papers, 1991 - 1993.
- Editor-in-Chief of the journal of Construction Innovation: Information. Process & Management, 1993 - 2006.
- Member of the Australian Institute of Building accreditation panel for Building degree and diploma course, UNITEC, Lae, Papua New Guinea, 2001.
- Member of the selection panel for chair at the University of Western Sydney, Blacktown, New South Wales, 1997.
- Member of the external review panel, Faculty of Architecture, the University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, 1996.
- Visiting Professor, City University of Hong Kong, 2008-present.
- Visiting Professor, Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM), 2009-2010.
- Director's Visitor (Jul 88 to Dec 88), Hong Kong Polytechnic, 1988.
- Honorary Visiting Professor (Aug 94 to Feb 95), University of New South Wales, 1994-5.
- External Examiner for 12 PhD theses and 3 Masters theses.
- Undergraduate course External Examiner at Thames Polytechnic, Newcastle upon Tyne Polytechnic, Stoke-on-Trent College, Loughborough University of Technology, University of Newcastle (NSW), University of South Australia (UniSA).
- Member Course Advisory Board - Salford College of Technology, Blackpool and the Fylde College, UNITECH Lae Papua.
- Organiser 7 conferences, member 10 conference Technical/Scientific Committees, chairman 15 conference sessions.