- Dean and Professor, Faculty of Applied Sciences, University AIMST, 2002 - 2006.
- R&D Director, Omnigrace Ltd, Thailand, 1999 - 2002.
- Lecturer, Associate Professor, Professor, Head of Department, Department of Chemistry, University of Malaya, 1975 -1999.
- Research Officer, Rubber Research Institute Malaysia, 1973 -1975.
- Colloid and Surface chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Materials science
- Latex chemistry and technology
Awards & Honours
- Colloid and Surface chemistry of emulsions, slurries, latex dispersions
- Visualization and Characterization techniques of latex films
- Green technologies for latex film formation and processing
- Synthesis and characterization of novel materials
- Latex film formation mechanism of rubber latex systems
Publications & Presentations
- DSc, University of Bristol, UK, 1999.
- National Science Award, Ministry of Science Technology and Environment, 1999.
- Gold Medal, Institute Kimia Malaysia, 1999.
- Gold Medal, Rotary Research Foundation Award, 1998.
- Science and Technology Award, Malaysian Toray Science Foundation, 1997.
Funded Research Projects
- He has published more than 80 publications in referred international journals, more than 100 conference presentations, invited and Plenary lectures, 4 patents (USA, EU, Japanese and Malaysian).
Research projects (period covered 1976-2006) funded by
- University Malaya
- Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd
- Revertex (M) Sdn Bhd
- Ansell Shah Alam
- Australian Institutional Linked Programme
- CE Technologies Sdn Bhd
- Visiting professor, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, USA, 1980, 1986.
- Visiting professor, University of Bristol, 1989, 1990, 1992 and 1996.
- Visiting professor, Science University of Tokyo, 1993.
- Adjunct Professor, UTAR, 2008 - present.
- Adjunct Professor, IIUM, 2008 - present.
- Member, Industrial Advisory Board, Nottingham University Malaysian Branch Campus, 2008 - present.
- Editor-in-chief, Malaysian Journal of Chemistry, 1997 - present.
- Editorial board member, Malaysian Journal of Science,1995 -1997.
- Editorial board member, ELAEIS, 1997 - 2006.
- Editorial board member, Chemistry in Malaysia, 2001 - present.
- Editorial board member, Journal S&T in the Tropics, 2004 - 2008.
- External Assessors for University Professorial candidates, PhD and MS theses of local and foreign universities, 1980 - 2008.
- Panel member of international judges, Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, USA, 2003 - 2004.
- Panel member of judges, National Science Fair, MOE, 2002 - present.
- Panel member of judges, International Invention Exhibition, 2006 - present.
- Council member, Malaysian Standards and Accreditation Council, 2003 - 2009.
- Member, National Committee on Implementation of Globally Harmonised System (GHS) for Classification & Labeling of Chemicals, Department of Safety and Health, Ministry of Human Resources (MOHR), 2005 - present.
- Chairman, National Advisory Committee on Skill Development for the Chemicals Sector, MOHR, 2006 - present.
- Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM)
- Council member, 1999 - 2002, 2004 - 2007.
- Chairman of ERP Committee, Brain Gain Malaysia, 2005 - present.
- Chairman, Task-Force on Intel-MOE-ASM Science Camp, ASM, 2002 - 2008.
- Chairman, Public Understanding and Awareness on S&T committee, 2001 - 2007
- Member Publication Committee, 1998 - 2005.
- Member, Finance Committee, 2007- present.
- Council member, Royal Society of Chemistry, 1991-1998.
- Institute Kimia Malaysia
- Council member, 1992 - present.
- Vice - President, 1996- 2001.
- President, 2001- 2006.
- Editor-in-Chief Malaysian Journal of Chemistry, 1997 - present.
- Chairman, Committee of Professional Affairs, 2007 - present.
- Chairman, Examination Board, 1995 - 2007.
- Committee on Materials and Polymers, 2007 - present.
- Member, ISC Q (Textiles and Apparels, 2005 - present.
- Member, ISC J (Plastics and plastics products), 1993 - present.
- Chairman, Technical Committee on Test methods of Textile chemicals, 2005 - present.
- Chairman Life Cycle Analysis Committee on Chemicals, 2005 -present.
- Professional Centre Malaysia
- Vice-President, 2001 - 2002.
- Member, Board of management, 1992 - 2007.
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia (MOSTI), National Brain Gain Project (BGM)
- Member, Project Management Committee, 2005 - present.
- Chairman, BMG sub-committee, Advanced Manufacturing sector, 2005 - present.
- Member, Assessment panel, SAGA Fund for Basic Research, (MOSTI), 2005 - present.
- Consultant to rubber and plastics industries, 1980 - present,
- Member, Science & Technology & Innovation (STI) group, the Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industries Malaysia (ACCCIM), 2005 - present.
- Member, Assessor Panel on R&D Projects, Malaysian Rubber Board, 2000 - present.
- Founding member, Asian-Oceania Network and on Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 2003 - present.
- Council member, Pacific Polymer Federation, 1993 - present.
- Director, Green Chemistry project, Federation of Asian Chemical Societies, 2003 - present.
- Member, International Advisory Board, International Symposium on Elastomers (ISE), 2003 - present.
- Member, International Advisory Board, Centre of Excellence Programme, Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan, 2003 - present.
- Fellow, Malaysian Institute of Chemistry, since 1989.
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, since 1990.
- Fellow, Academy of Sciences Malaysia, since 1998.
- Fellow, Malaysian Oil Scientist' and Technologist' Association, since 1998.
- Chartered Chemist, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, since 1990.
- Chartered Scientist, Science Council, UK, since 2004.
- Member, International Polymer Colloids Group, since1995.