Director of Research Support Division :
- Botanical Consultant to Bandar Utama City Centre Sdn Bhd 2000-present (Rainforest in the Mall and Rooftop flower garden 'Secret Garden of 1 Utama')
- Consultant to FRIM on historical development of forestry research in Malaysia, 2009
- Forestry Consultant to a Forest Management Corporation in Sabah, 2009 (Restoration of logged forests)
- Botanical and Landscape Consultant to a proposed tourist centre in Sabah, 2009 (Natural ecology and development of a fruit growing and exhibition centre)
- Botanical and Landscape Consultant to National Stud Farm, Ipoh, 2009 (improvement of landscape)
- Botanical Consultant to Sarawak Biodiversity Centre, 2002-present (Ethnobotanical garden and native plant knowledge documentation).
- Lead consultant for Planning and Development of a Natural History Museum in Malaysia, 2007 - 2008.
- Botanical consultant to FRIM for the Tree Flora of Sabah and Sarawak, 1999-2006.
- Botanical consultant to Forest Department, Brunei, for the Tree Flora of Brunei. 2000.
- Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), Indonesia, 1 Aug 1994 - 31 Dec 1997
Chief, Forest Research, Education and Training Branch :
- FAO of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 13 Feb 1991 - 31 Jul 1994
Deputy Director General :
- Forest Research Institute, Malaysia (FRIM), 1 Sep 1986 - 31 Dec 1990
Publications & Presentations
- Plants, landscapes, gardens and forests
Awards & Honours
- Author of books : Tropical Horticulture and Gardening; Clearwater Publications 2006. Manual of Forest Fruits, Seeds and Seedlings 2 vols; FRIM 1991-2. The Tropical Garden City - Its Creation and Maintenance; FRIM 1990
- David Fairchild Award for botanical exploration 2009 (an international award established in the USA)
- Fellow, Academy of Sciences Malaysia, elected 1998
- FRIM Scientific Achievement Award, 1 Oct 1991
- Honorary Life Member of Malaysian Nature Society, 1990
- Malaysian Order of Chivalry K.M.N. (Kesatria Mangku Negara), 1982
- Malaysian King's Scout Award, 1958
- Consulting Editor:
- Journal of Tropical Forest Science. 2005 to present.
Countries worked in
- Member of Institute of Foresters Malaysia
- Asia: Malaysia (all states, including Sabah and Sarawak), Indonesia (Java, Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Bali, Kemodo), Philippines, Brunei, Singapore, Thailand, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China (mainland, Taiwan and Hong Kong), South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Samoa.
- Africa: Burkina Faso, Kenya, Botswana
- Americas: USA, Costa Rica
- Europe: UK, Netherlands, Italy, France, Austria, Denmark, Sweden.