- Professor, Colorado State University (CSU), 2001 - present.
- Adjunct Professor, Purdue University (PU), 2001 - present.
- Associate Professor, Purdue University (PU), 1997 - 2001.
- Assistant Professor, Purdue University (PU), 1991 - 1997.
- Communication principles
- Random variables & stochastic processes
- Optimization methods for control & communication
- Nonlinear programming
- Engineering risk analysis
Awards & Honours
- Control, optimization, modeling, communication networks and wireless systems.
Publications & Presentations
- George T. Abell Outstanding Faculty Research Award, 2008.
- Professional of the Year in Education/Computer Engineering Award, 2007.
- Professional of the Year in Electrical Engineering Award, 2007.
- Professional of the Year in Electrical Engineering Award, 2006.
- IEEE Control Systems Society Distinguished Lecturer Award, 2001-1003.
- Purdue University Faculty Scholar Award, 1999.
- ASEE Frederick Emmons Terman Award,1998.
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 1995.
- IEEE Section Recognition Award, 1994.
- Outstanding IEEE Branch Counselor & Advisor Award, 1993.
- Purdue Student Government Leadership Award, 1993.
- South Australian Chamber of Commerce & Industry-Electrical & Electronic Engineering Awards, 1987.
Funded Research Projects
- Authored and co-authored 3 books and more than 8 book chapters and several book reviews.
- Coauthored with S.H. Zak this best-selling book, An Introduction To Optimization. 3rd Edition, Wiley-Interscience, 2008.
- Published more than 70 international refereed journal papers, more than a dozen media citations and written 152 working papers for conference proceedings
- Presented more than 200 presentations at conferences, seminars & corporate bodies.
- Received over 40 research grants that total more than US$6M dollars from government and industry.
- Undertaken 40 research projects that total more than US$6M dollars.
- Fellow of IEEE, 2004 - present.
- Strathmore Who's Who Roundtable (elite group of 50 professionals) in 2008.
- Member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Control Systems Society, 2006 - 2008.
- Full Member of Sigma Xi (the Scientific Research Society), 2002 to present.
- He was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at Princeton University in 1991.
- Research Assistant at Princeton University, 1988 to 1991.
- Research Assistant at the University of Adelaide, 1986 to 1987.
- An editor of Journal Computer Networks as well as the Journal of Control Science & Engineering.
- Senior Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control.
- Conference Editorial Board of the IEEE Control Systems Society, 1994 - 1995.
- Associate Editor at Large of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 2009.
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 1994 -1997.
- Founding chairman of the IEEE Technical Committee on Discrete Event Systems, 1999.
- Programme & Organizing Committees of more than 50 conferences and symposiums.
- Consultant to Numerica Corporation, Loveland, Co, 2004 - present.
- Consultant to the John Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, MD, 2003 - present.
- Consultant to Essential Software Solutions, Denver, CO, 2003.
- Consultant to Caterpillar, Inc., Ungaretti & Harris, Barners & Thornburg, and Howrey & Simon, 1996 - 1998.
- Consultant to Bells Lab, Lucent Techologies, Holmdel, NJ in 1998.
- Supervised 22 Ph.D. students in PU and CSU.
- Supervised 7 M.S. students in PU and CSU.
- Conducted 58 invited lectures in over 50 universities in 7 countries.